Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Donadoni: I Don't Want A Penny

he 44-year-old seems almost certain to receive his marching orders following the Euro 2008 quarter final defeat to Spain on penalties on Sunday night.

The Italian press have been calling for Donadoni’s head, and indeed it is reported that Marcello Lippi has already been lined up as his successor.

Donadoni signed a contract extension until 2010 just days before the Euros began, but a rescission clause was inserted that allowed the deal to be torn up if Italy failed to reach the semi finals.

The Italian Football Federation are believed to have offered the former Milan midfielder a pay settlement of around €550,000, but Donadoni says that if he is sacked, he won’t accept a penny.

“I said no to President Giancarlo Abete’s proposal on the day that I agreed the new deal,” Donadoni explained.

“Financial matters don’t concern me. If he doesn’t want me to be the Coach any longer I will leave without asking for anything.”

For all his shortcomings on the pitch, this gesture is certain to be viewed as another example of his class off the field.

Anthony Sormani
Goal.Com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...